Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We All Survived!




B & L got off to school bright and early Monday morning, K went off to work, which left me home alone...the worst part of the first day of school...or so I thought. I had a little nap, then got up to get a few things done. Around 2:15 pm, I started to feel something vaguely familiar, yet terrifying. It was pain that can only be compared to labor pains. Yes, it was the beginning of 24 hours of kidney stone pain. After a trip to the doctor, being sent to the ER, coming home to take massive doses of Percocet, vomiting repeatedly, and little sleep, the pain was finally under control around 4:30 am. Somehow everyone got off to school and work again Tuesday and I prepared for 30ish kids to come have tacos with B for lunch. I really have no idea who all was here. I shut myself in the bedroom, took another Percocet, and went to sleep. When I woke up, the pain was gone! but the stone was not. The good news is, at about 10:15 pm Wednesday, it was successfully passed!!! Besides feeling like I've been used as a punching bag, I'm doing fairly well.
Who could imagine something so small could cause so much pain! This was the 5th and hopefully the last!

I'm slowly catching up on the first 3 days of the school year, but nothing's quite the same as hearing all about it when they first come through the door on that first day. Life...

In addition to all of this, our great friends, the other half of "The Filltridge Family", were here visiting from California. Fortunately, we got to spend time together on Sunday, and K, B, & L went with them Monday night to the traditional dinner at Organ Stop Pizza. Sure wish I could have been there! W was in Chicago on business, so he missed out on a bunch of good stuff, too!

Thursday will be the beginning of the next adventure.

3 comments:

onehm said...

OH NO!! You poor thing!!
Hopefully things will get LOTS easier as the school year progresses!
xoxox

Karen said...

Oh dang. I knock on every piece of wood that there ever was, so grateful that I have never experienced the dreaded Kidney Stone. I've watched my Dad, brother and sister deal with the pain of it all and I know I would just have to check myself into one of those Hollywood rehabs where they would just knock me out, give me a tummy tuck while I waited and let me know when it was all over.

I'm glad you made it through it and I'm glad it didn't happen at Disneyland!

Cyn said...

Miss Karen;
It didn't happen at Disneyland,but that's where I went for rehab!