Today K, W, and I went to see a surgeon, Dr. R. We didn't really learn anything new that we hadn't already researched. He is very confident and I'm sure he's a great surgeon. He said he does about 250 thyroid surgeries a year and about 6-10 of those are Medullary. He said the biopsy report said that it was "consistent" to Medullary cancer, but we wouldn't know for sure until we had the calcitonin levels from the blood tests taken last week. He said his office would be in touch in the next couple of days to schedule surgery. In the meantime, I called Dr. Hurley's office on our way home and found out that my calcitonin level is 448. Normal levels are 0-6. Definitely more than just "consistent". I have an appointment on January 13 with a surgeon from the Mayo Hospital in Scottsdale to get another opinion, then we'll go from there. He's the first person recommended by both my primary doctor and the E.N.T. that diagnosed it, but Dr. R. was also highly recommended. It's always good to have options, especially when they're good. We're looking for all the good that we can these days! Thanks for all of your prayers!
2 comments:
ok, i sent you a personal email as well, but man do you thrive on adventures or what. we are praying that those levels of calcitonin are centralized to the thyroid...period...no lymph nodes allowed!
Perfect plan! My sister's surgeon was a Dr. R. I wonder if they're the same. I did love him.
Carry on ~
Post a Comment