Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm Back!

Well, I'm back home and comfortable in more than just a hospital gown and socks! From what I hear, surgery went well. Dr. Hinni said my thyroid was "extraordinary". He went in expecting to see a large thyroid with a small nodule attached. Instead he found a nodule attached to a shriveled up piece of scar tissue on the one side and a little bigger shriveled up piece of scar tissue on the other side. They removed all of that, the lymph nodes down the center, and some on the left side; but not nearly as many higher or lower on the left side as they had planned. When Dr. Hinni talked to me in post-op he said the cancer's all out and he expects my calcitonin level to be at 0 when I see him next week! Yay!!! I'm actually feeling pretty good considering. Everything's tender, but nothing that Tylenol hasn't been able to fix. Orders are to lay low for a few days and not do anything for 2 weeks that would raise my blood pressure. Any good movie suggestions? :)


Before...Do you like how Dr. Hinni marked the spot?!





After...I can't believe I'm posting this beauty, but the other option is really up close and may be a little too unpleasant. And yes, that is the best smile I could do at the time.

14 comments:

Eric and Rachel said...

Yay!!! Glad to hear you are doing well and can expect a full recovery, in all aspects! You are amazing! Please let me know if you need anything, besides movie suggestions that is, I'm not too helpful in that area. The last movie I saw was Eagle Eye, and I think it's on video. Enjoy the rest and relaxation! Rachel

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome! it looks great!
glad it went well for you!

i always like eating something cold. feels good from the inside out.

congrats! hope your levels are right where he wants them to be when you see him again!

onehm said...

WOO HOO! So glad that you are home and that it went well!!
I have TONS of movies that I would be happy to lend you. Have C come by sometime and grab some! Our rentals are FREE!! :)

Karen said...

Woo hoo is right! I'm so glad it's over! That first picture would have been a great way to answer your boyfriend after he asked you to the Prom! I'm proud of that second picture too ... show off your work!

I'll throw out the first three movies that come to my mind ...

1. A Knight's Tale
2. Return To Me
3. My Big Fat Greek Thyroid (I mean wedding)

Now take it waaaaaay easy ... and Congratulations!!!

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

So glad all went well, you look great and if it helps i have one of those scars also, some 20 years ago i will have to show you sometime, hope you don't mind me leaving a note, Hallie keeps me updated with your progress, just want you to know you were in my thoughts and prayers, glad things look good for you...and you look wonderful...

Cyn said...

Thank you all for your well wishes! Loves to all!

Kayla said...

Sorry I fell behind in life and couldn't keep up your blog, but it seems you're back into it now. I'm so glad that you are doing well, and do remember to take it light and easy for a while. Now, I FINALLY get to sleep. :) I love you!!

marry said...

I am so glad you are okay... You guys have been through so much this year... and it has been so great to see you show God's hand in all your go through... Some totally must see up lifting movies

1. The Ultimate Gift
2. Facing the Giants
3. Fireproof
4. Love comes softly series (6 wonderful happy movies - hours of entertainment)
5. Nacho Libre
6. I love Lucy re-runs (library)
7. Cosby Show (the best! I just love how wholesome these are)
8. Anything Disney... I personally like Finding Nemo - I laugh everytime
9. Little Manhatten (not to familiar but so cute and innocent)
10. All the Jane Austin movies from PBS... just fabulous! They all aired on PBS and I loved them all.

Hope that helps... I have a tone of books too

All time favorites

1. These is my Words (a totally must read)
2. Jane Eyre (total classic)
3. Letters from a Nut (to make you laugh but read in a group setting - so much better and have someone read them out loud to you)
4. Marley and Me than see the movie
5. Any thing by Shannon Hale

Sorry this is so long... get rest take care.

Shari said...

We're so glad to hear all went well and that you are home and in good spirits. Sounds like all you need for all those movies is a bit of delicious carmel popcorn...humm I wonder who can supply that! Yes, it's coming! Love you all-

mom/sandy said...

You look great in the first pic but I love the off the shoulder second one!!

I love when prayers are answered the way we prayed for them. Take care and rest well.

Best-Sandy Williams

The Cluffs said...

Awesome news - so glad to hear you are on the mend!! Take advantage of the down time and get some rest. Enjoy the movies - watch one or two for me!! Kari

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that everything went so well, and that you are comfortably back home. I always thought "X marks the spot" but I guess "Yes" works too! I watch almost all Disney movies at my house, The Little mermaid was the choice today. But Cinderella is always a good back-up. I'm not sure that last movie I went to at the theatre, I think it was 'Wanted' with Angelina Jolie.

Cyn said...

Thanks for all of the movie suggestions! I think I'm going to have to take a little more time than suggested to even get a good start on them! Loves!

Full House said...

Oh you most beautiful lady EVER! I'm so glad you posted pics and I love the Yes on the neck.

Can't wait to see you. Are you excepting visitors yet?

Really am so happy that the surgery is over and done with.