Friday, February 20, 2009

Warning...This May Be Confusing!

Wednesday I went to see my new Endocrinologist. Some blood tests were taken to check my calcium level, my parathyroid, and my thyroid hormone level. Today I got a call back from the doctor with the results. Calcium level is good. (When you mess with the parathyroid, like they had to during my surgery, it can be damaged or "shocked", which affects your calcium level. Mine was down right after surgery, so I took massive doses for a week, now I'm on one a day, which is what I will now continue.) Parathyroid profile came back good. Thyroid level...not so good. This is where it gets complicated. Just remember low is high and high is low. Normal TSH levels for thyroid are .3-3.0. For 30 years, I've taken 200 mcg (micrograms) of medication and it was perfect, until I went to have it tested in November. My TSH level was around 30, which means my thyroid was WAY low, or hypo-thyroid which causes great tiredness, hair falling out, dry skin, among many other things. Dosage was bumped up to 224 mcg daily. In December, it was retested and the TSH was 0.135, which was on the high side, or hyper-thyroid, but I felt great and was losing weight like crazy! Still a bit tired cause your heart is beating a little too fast. (And none of this had anything to do with the cancer.) My TSH level today is 0.04...quite a bit too high, so the doctor wanted to lower my meds to 175 mcg. That totally didn't make any sense to me since I was taking 200 mcg and it was at a 30! So I convinced her to let me at least take the 200 mcg again and tried to convice her to throw 224 mcg in a few days a week, but she didn't go for that. I'll get a recheck in 3 months on the TSH level and also the calcitonin level to make sure that's staying low and the cancer is not showing up again. Here's hoping for less tiredness, less hair falling out (which happens if it's too high, also!), heart rate out of the 90's and into the 70's, and overall feeling better!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Thyroid stuff really is confusing. Good luck with all of this!

Crazymamaof6 said...

who are you seeing for your ENDO? i need a new one.

ugh. i hate it when they mess with my dose. sometimes i'm totally willing to put up with a higher heart rate to be a little thinner. instead of where it technically "should be" according to the bloodwork. but gaining weight.

good luck!

Kat said...

Thinking of you. You did good, explaining all this so we could understand. Sending good karma your way.